Saturday, February 20, 2010

Remove privet...check, Remove willow... check, whipper-snip driveway... check!

Another couple of things were ticked off the endless to-do list today. Chris had a bit of arb work he wanted to do, and I was whipper-snipper queen. Although, I'm told that its not whipper-snipper here in NZ, its weed-eater. Potato, potato!

There is/was a huge privet tree tangled up in the barberry/blackberry/weed patch that is the hedge down the driveway. Chris chopped a big limb off with the pole saw, but the hedge is so overgrown it just hung there! So the trusty Surf was put to work (in 4wd of course). The surf made short work of pulling the tree free from the hedge, go the hilux!

Next job for Chris was to tidy up a big willow tree that is actually on our neighbour's place but overhangs our boundary. Chris had a chat with the neighbour about it yesterday, so today he set about tidying it up. It's a pretty ugly specimen and we both would rather it were pruned at ground level but we will see how the neighbourly relations go before we suggest something quite so drastic. After all, most neighbourly disputes are caused by trees and boundaries! Chris gave it a good haircut including taking out quite a bit of dead wood which kept him busy for most of the morning. He left the firewood on the neighbours side to help said neighbourly relations.

While he was doing his thing, I whipper-snipped the driveway and turnaround area, as well as the house site as it had become somewhat overgrown. I found it much easier than last week (my arms had finally stopped hurting by Thursday!) so managed to get quite a bit done. By the end of it my hands were tingling and I thought they were going to fall off, but it was very satisfying to see what I had achieved. By the time I'd finished my section, Chris had tidied up his tree mess and dragged all the brush into a big pile to burn.

All in all, a very successful day. Some pics of our finished work will feature on tomorrow's blog as in our haste to get out to the block we forgot the camera!


No comments:

Post a Comment