Ok, so it's actually the 12th of January, but better late than never right?? I've been reminded that I've been a very bad blogger so I thought I'd better put up some pictures of what's been happening at Waterford Estate over the past few weeks.
Chris has been super busy as usual and started a few new projects. He's made a great start on the stables. The shed is all lined and the posts are concreted in in preparation for the rest of the tie up/wash bay area concrete to go in. We are waiting for the contractor to come back from holiday to give us a final price on that. At the same time he will also do the concrete paths around the house, and the patio out the back of the cottage. I am very much looking forward to that - it will mean less sand in the house!
The cattle yards are coming along at a great pace. Chris organised all the gates to be made and they were delivered last week. He also bought all the gate hardware such as straps, hinges and gudgeons. I have learnt to just say "yes dear that's great" when Chris comes home and says "I've been to Bunnings and spent $XX!".
We hosted Christmas at Waterford Estate. We had Chris' parents come and stay, as well as Dad and Cathy & Briar, Chris' Aunty & Uncle & Cousins and my sister when she eventually arrived from Aussie after a nightmare trip of cancelled flights, delayed flights, detours through Christchurch, no sleep and delays on the motorway! It was a full house but we all had a wonderful time, eating (far too much), drinking and generally being merry.
We were very spoilt for Christmas this year. Chris' parents have lent us their ride on mower for as long as we need it. They brought it up from Gisborne and it was put straight to work cutting the grass and what a fine job it did too. As well as the actual lawnmower, Dad and Cathy gave us three portable lawnmowers - aka sheep! They are Wiltshire sheep which lose thier fleece so only need to be short once a year. There are two ewes and a ram. They have provided their fair share of entertainment already - we have found out our electrobraid, while fantasic for horses, is next to useless for sheep. So we have free range sheep for now. One of the ewes was handraised so is very friendly. Her name is Muffin and she comes running over every day for a scratch. Very cute!
Chris has also started planting of the septic tank drainage field in what is to become the gardens. Mum had given us some money for Christmas which we set aside as "garden fund". Chris, Lesley and I went on a nursery tour and managed to get quite a few plants for a resonable amound of money so we were very happy.
In other news, Mack is at the breakers starting his education under saddle. I went and visited him before Christmas and he was happily feral. He was with another horse, a pinto called Chief and they were happy as larry running around playing all day. Foxy is going back to Auckland this weekend as she isn't 100% sound which is very disappointing. However, she's going home to be a babysitter for young horses, a task I'm sure she will perform admirably.
 |
| New gate into cottage section |
 |
| Plants purchased from Mum's xmas money |
 |
| Ready to go in |
 |
| Herb pot from Bob and Lesley |
 |
| Cattle yards taking shape |
 |
| Gates for cattle yards |
 |
| what will be the loading ramp |
 |
| more yards - that post isn't crooked, Chris ran out of concrete! |
 |
| Nicely topped paddocks |
 |
| The new residents |
 |
| Muffin |
 |
| Muffin having a scratch |
 |
| looking down race to cattle yards on left |
 |
| planting started in garden |
 |
| baby kowhai tree |
I cannot believe you have a sheep called Muffin! Bahahahaha!
ReplyDeleteHaha yes well she came with that name...
ReplyDelete