Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mack is Back!

I picked up Mack from Dave's place today. It was a very early start, Jeanette and I were on the road at 6am to be there by 8am. We stopped for breakfast at McDonalds in Mercer, but had to wait around for 15 minutes as they didn't open until 7am! Despite the holdup we arrived at Dave's bang on time at 8am.

The home of DM Training - round pen, undercover yards/stables, sand track
Paddocks and arena

We saddled up the horses, me on Mack and Dave on his cool little appy, Zack. We headed straight out onto the farm for a hack (no mucking around!). Dave took us on a really awesome adventure around one of the paddocks. It was pretty steep in places and Dave didn't stick to the easiest route, instead choosing to go down some pretty hairy parts. I've decided that Mack must actually be part Mountain Goat because he was amazingly sure-footed. It was a real buzz for me riding on such challenging terrain on the horse that I bred. We went up hill and down dale, through swamp and over ditches. It was awesome!

Heading out for a ride with Dave and Zack

About half way through the ride, Mack and I took over as the leaders and we led Zack and Dave the rest of the way around the paddock and back home. Mack was super cool, even when the saddle slipped right back just about on his bum and I had to get off, readjust everything and clamber back on on the side of a hill. I really must remember to check my girth before I ride out, and invest in a breastplate and monkey strap.

Up we go!
Undulating hills
Heading back

Once we were back from our leisurely hack, Dave directed us towards the track for a bit of a trot and canter. We popped up into trot for a few strides and then straight into canter. Mack cruised around the track in a lovely relaxed canter, even while his buddies were running alongside him in the paddock. Once we'd done a lap we pulled up and then Dave decided it was a good idea to tell us what to do if things got a bit hairy. Luckily, I hasn't needed that snippet of information during the ride. I was super proud of Mack, and myself and Dave was pretty happy with us too.

"If things go wrong do this..."
"...and this"
After Mack was unsaddled, we stood him up and measured him. He is 165 cm or 16.1hh - so much for the 15.3hh I ordered! He might just get to 16.2hh yet as he's got another few years of growing to do. However, I feel fine once I'm on him and he doesn't ride like a big horse as he's very compact.

Once we'd said our goodbyes and thank-yous to Dave, we loaded Mack up on the float for the long trip home. He walked straight on the float no problem and travelled like a dream all the way home. His eyes lit up when he saw the green grass and hasn't lifted his head since. So much for the nice trim pony... I think he's happy to be home.

Mack at home
Stretching his legs after a long float trip
Back to the paddock
Mmm grass!
Nom nom nom
Naughty Mack!

No comments:

Post a Comment