Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mack's first arena ride

Chris and I took Mack down to the Cambridge Adult Riding Club grounds today for a play in their arena. It was Mack's second time down there as I'd taken him down once before he was broken in. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect because the last time we went there was quite a bit going on and it was all too much for his pea-brain to cope with, but this time he was very well behaved.

Lowering the ramp
Out we get
Ooh where am I?
Looking around
Who's that horse over there?
Going for a walk around
Getting ready
Standing nicely
Handsome Mack

He stayed tied to the float while I was tacking without pulling back which was a great start. Once I'd tacked him up I walked him around a bit for a wee look around which was all no problem. I thought I'd better just clamber aboard and see how he went. I wasn't expecting to do much else apart from walk around, but he felt so good we did some trot and even ended with some canter on both reins.

Walking to mounting block
Off we go
Walking around
Exploring the arena
Walking through puddles
Walking
Negotiating poles
On a mission
Testing out the steering
Canter

Here is a short video taken by Chris of our arena adventure.


The next step is for me to take Mack down to the arena by myself. It will be very handy in winter when its too wet to ride at home in the paddocks.

1 comment: