We had absolutely gorgeous weather this weekend. We went and got some hay for the horses from Morrinsville early in the morning, and I decided to capitalise on the fact the float was hooked up and do some float training with the two horses.
I wanted to make sure Mack hadn't forgotten about loading onto the float, and also just spend time with him in it. He's not a particularly bad floater, or loader, but before he was turned out, he had started getting quite impatient once he was loaded, and wanted to rush in and out. I spent some time with him walking up the ramp, one step at a time, and also "parking" at various places on the ramp, and in the float. It was really worthwhile, and he relaxed quite quickly and just chilled. Once he was nice and calm, he got a feed in the float as a reward. I was very pleased with him.
Next it was Ciara's turn. I was a bit apprehensive as she's only had one float-loading session before, and one rather big journey up from Masterton on a horse truck. The trucking firm took excellent care of her on her journey, but it was a big, stressful experience to leave her friends and come to a strange place with strange people. Nevertheless, she is a pretty chilled out horse and her leading, tying up and feet handling is going fantastically. I want to show her in-hand this summer, and the only way to get her out and about is on the float.
I led her from the paddock towards the shed and aimed to walk past the float. She had a wee moment of panic when I led her past the float, but it was quite sort-lived. At that point I decided my goal would be to get her to the foot of the ramp so that she could consider it and get comfortable being close to the big white scary box.
However, just by taking it quietly (and with the help of a bucked of feed as a reward) she not only walked to the foot of the ramp, but she had no problems getting on it, and one step at a time, in the float! We stood for a while in the float, taking in the sights and sounds. She had a bit of a feed and then just chilled out. I was absolutely blown away with her calmness - she is much less of a "worrier" than Mack.
Once we'd done that for a while I put her back in the paddock for some processing time. Later that afternoon I brought her in again for a brush and some feet handling, and we also had another short play on the float. This time I didn't have any feed as a reward but she just walked on in and stood there. What a good pony. I wasn't quite ready to shut the back gates or put the ramp up, we will save that for another day.
 |
| Checking out the float |
 |
| Chilling out on the ramp |
 |
| In we go |
 |
| Good pony! |
 |
| Mack supervising the proceedings while Princess is decidedly uninterested |
No comments:
Post a Comment